Thursday, May 28, 2009

Did I make a mistake of choosing to study Nursing

Did I make a mistake of choosing to study Nursing?
I was working for a decade before I made up my mind to go back to school and get a BS degree in Nursing. I dreamed of being a CNM some day... I even got into SUNY for Associates program but I thought a straight 4 years bachelors is better than 2 year program, but I chose India to study cz its a lot cheaper here.. but I guess I made a mistake!! Life sucks in the college I am in. Psychologically, am goin through hell, more than encouraging me, my lecturers just mock most of us, sometimes even use bad language!! There is no life at all, I leave home by 5 30, college starts at 7 am and ends at 6 pm, Mon - Sat!! Its not even human... I reach home pretty late.. I have aged parents.. I really need to finish this program.. but 4 more years scares me... am getting demotivated, tired, frustrated.. :-( Also, I read that nursing jobs are also at risk... by the time I finish my degree, I duno how it would be. I am very keen on applying for my masters degree in US later on; I wish to end up as a CNM.. Is it like this in all Nursing schools? I never socialize now, I have stopped dating, its just school, assignments, and clinical duty......... someone pls say smthing positive for me to move on.... I dont wanna repent after my graduation for leaving a job and choosing to study...... Whats the future of nursing??!!
Health Care - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
This is rather blunt and maybe a bit harsh, but here it is: No, you did not make a mistake in choosing nursing, the mistake was made in choosing to attend college in India when you plan to work and go to graduate school in the US. Nursing school and college in general is not like this in the US. Get your butt back over here! You need to learn nursing in a medically-advanced country, not India! As far as being cheaper......go to a state university here in the US....you can usually cover the entire tuition with student loans...... Nursing jobs are not "at risk"......people will always become ill or injured, and not all women can or want to have a home birth. However, you will be competing for jobs in the hospitals with nurses who have earned their degree from an NLN-accredited college or university...not in a country that has pretty much "3rd world" conditions for health care.
2 :
It is unlikely pursuing this degree will get you anywhere. Unless the program is recognized as equivalent to nursing school in the US they will not even recognize the degree. Even if they do it is unlikely that you will have the skills you need to work in most US hospitals. Cut your loses and return to the states and get the Associates degree and then work toward your BSN.


Read more discussion :